Thursday, February 17, 2011

Things I'm Excited About - Battle: Los Angeles (2011)


"A Marine platoon faces off against an alien invasion in Los Angeles."


That is the one and only tagline released for the upcoming action/sci-fi film Battle: Los Angeles. That was also the one and only tagline needed to get my ass in the seat.

For starters, this movie has everything I love: Aliens, spaceships, war scenes, crazy explosions, lots of yelling, and humanity facing its impending doom. The trailer for the film does everything right. Slow, ambient song layered over images of terror and destruction. It begs the audience to ask, "What will we do?" and "Who will save us?" The answer lies in two simple things-- A) We will fight them to the death with all the bad ass weaponry we can find, and B) Aaron Eckhart will. I'm looking forward not only to the fact that the film looks like an absolute feast of sensual stimulation, but also the fact that Mr. Eckhart, an actor who has proven time and time again that he is one of the best in taking on the role of hero.

From what I can see in the trailers, the film looks like it will most certainly entertain, but I am concerned about any greater message coming across. Maybe it is a comment on the middle east conflicts? Maybe it's about militarism and technology? Who knows? Maybe it's just about Aliens killing a bunch of humans and humans returning the favor. Long story short, its going to rule.

And even if it doesn't, it's gotta be better than Skyline.

Look for it 3/11/11 in IMAX and theaters. I know I'm going to.



No comments:

Post a Comment